The Festivals Company is proud to announce that the Purple Poppadom from Cardiff has been crowned Welsh Curry House of the Year 2012. The announcement was made by Rt Hon Carwyn Jones AM, First Minister of Wales at a glittering Awards Gala Dinner at The Red Dragon Centre, Cardiff Bay on Monday 23 April 2012.
“We knew the National Award would eventually go to South Wales but we didn’t think it would take six years. The Purple Poppadom is a restaurant that represents a vision of the future but is a reality we can enjoy today. Imagination, flair and confident execution were all in evidence at this fine Indian restaurant which we believe can happily compete on the world stage. This is a restaurant that Cardiff and Wales can be proud of. The Purple Poppadom is a new restaurant that lives up to the hype. The attention to detail is quite spectacular and at the heart of the dining experience is one of the best chefs in the world, Anand George,” said Niaz Taj, the Jury Chair.
“The competition is committed to celebrating the fine work of the 280 Indian restaurants we have in Wales. We are also committed to encourage the sector to use more locally sourced Welsh ingredients like Welsh Lamb. The response to the Welsh Lamb Curry dish which was offered in the top 30 restaurants confirmed a demand by the public for food using locally sourced ingredients. We would like to see such ingredients become a permanent part of menus in restaurants all over Wales,” said Berwyn Rowlands from the Festivals Company.
The judges who were tasked with choosing the National Winner were:
• Niaz Taj, Jury Chair and Manager of the Spice Route.
• Shuel Ahmed, winner of the competition in 2008 and 2011 from the Sheesh Mahal in Llanelli.
• Bonny Young from London returns as a judge having travelled extensively in India.
• Sirajul Islam returns as a judge having spent 40 years in the Indian Restaurant sector.
A total of five awards were presented during the evening and the winners were:
• Purple Poppadom, 185 Cowbridge Road East, Cardiff. CF11 9AJ (NATIONAL WINNER)
• The Suhail, 12 Bastion Road, Prestatyn. LL19 7ES (NORTH WALES WINNER)
• Bengal Spices, Ashfield House, Llanymynech. SY22 6ER (MID WALES WINNER)
• Purple Poppadom, 185 Cowbridge Road East, Cardiff. CF11 9AJ (SOUTH WALES WINNER)
• Bombay Blue, 27a Cardiff Road, Caerphilly. CF15 7SS (BEST DESIGN)
The Welsh Curry House of the Year competition will return in 2013!